How To Use Your God-Given Authority
Jesus died not only for our sins, but he died to give us authority in this world. We are representatives of Jesus and all that he paid for. Yes, we have God-given authority by the blood of Jesus, but we need to stop being passive Christians. If you think that the devil won’t attack you if you don’t think about him, you are wrong.
1 Peter 5:8 (NLT) – Stay alert! Watch out for your great enemy, the devil. He prowls around like a roaring lion, looking for someone to devour.
So, stop waiting for the devil to attack you and your family before you start seeking God. The devil is not a fairy tale, that is what he wants you to think; it is one of his tricks. He also wants you to believe that you are unworthy, that God can’t possibly love you, God has given up on you, that being a Christian is boring because you can’t do the things you like. THESE are all lies! Being a Christian isn’t about changing who you are and what you like; it’s about believing in Christ Jesus.
It’s time we stop believing the lies of the devil, stand our ground and realize that the devil is a defeated foe. Never let your guard down and stand strong with your God-given authority. In the book “Armed and Dangerous” written by John Ramirez he says, “Never get comfortable in your own spiritual skin. Understand that at any given moment the spiritual channel can be changed, and we must be ready to position ourselves against every demonic attack that is trying to throw us off guard. We need to discern and be spiritually alert at all times. There is no time for spiritual laziness.” Always be on guard because the devil likes to attack when you least expect it.
About a month ago I was attacked. It was about 1:30am and I felt attacked physically. I right away recognized that it was a spiritual attack and started praying in tongues. Now I put on my spiritual armor and pray over my house daily. So, praying in tongues helped me recognize where that attack came from. You see doors can be opened just by going to visit someone. Even though I was asleep my spirit was alert and able to discern that this was an attack from the enemy. That is why it is important to use the weapons God has given you.
Ephesians 6:10-11 (NLT) –Be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on all of God’s armor so that you will be able to stand firm against all strategies of the devil.
There are 7 weapons to back up your God-given authority and help you through any attacks:
- The Name of Jesus! Philippians 2:9-11 (NLT) – Therefore, God elevated him to the place of highest honor and gave him the name above all other names, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue declare that Jesus is Lord, to the glory of God the father.
- The Blood of Jesus! Revelation 12:11 (NLT) – And they have defeated him by the blood of the Lamb and by their testimony.
- The Word of God! Proverb 30:5 (NLT) – Every word of God proves true. He is a shield to all who come to him for protection.
- Prayer! James 5:16 (NIV) – The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.
- Speaking in Tongues! Romans 8:26 (NLT) – And the Holy Spirit helps us in our weakness. For example, we don’t know what God wants us to pray for. But the Holy Spirit prays for us with groanings that cannot be expressed in words.
- Pulling Down Strongholds! 2 Corinthians 10:3-4 (NLT) – We are human, but we don’t wage war as humans do. We use God’s mighty weapons, not worldly weapons, to knock down the strongholds of human reasoning and to destroy false arguments.
- Praise and Worship! Psalms 98:1 (NLT) – Sing a new song to the Lord, for he has done wonderful deeds. His right hand has won a mighty victory; his holy arm has shown his saving power. (Check out my previous blog Power of Praise).
Father, we thank you for our God-given authority that Jesus paid for. Help us to discern attacks from the enemy and to be prepared. Remind us to put on our armor and use the weapons you provided for warfare. Amen!