Coffee With Jesus
How do you start your day? Do you wait until the last minute to get up, then are rushing and yelling just to get out the door? Yup I have been there before.
The past year, though, I have learned the importance of giving my first fruits. I used to wait until the end of the day to spend time with God. And although any time we spend with God is important we need to learn to put him first!
Let’s be honest life happens and before we know it we are in bed remembering we forgot God. A half-hearten prayer is said and then we tell ourselves there is always tomorrow.
Stop letting life distract you! Not just life but the pressures of life; being a mom, wife, working, cooking, cleaning and just going through the motions of getting through the day.
Do you know that is exactly what the devil wants? If we are focused on our pressures, we are distracted from our purpose. This reminds me of the story of Martha and Mary.
Luke 10:40-42 (NLT) – But Martha was distracted by the big dinner she was preparing. She came to Jesus and said, “Lord, doesn’t it seem unfair to you that my sister just sits here while I do all the work? Tell her to come and help me.” But the Lord said to her, “My dear Martha, you are worried and upset over all these details! There is only one thing worth being concerned about. Mary has discovered it and it will not be taken away from her.”
Just like Mary we need to realize there is only one thing worth being concerned about and that is Jesus. Once I realized that; I changed the way I started my day. I was tired of just going through the motions of life wondering if there was more. I knew there was more to life and I had to meet with Jesus in the morning to find it. That is when I started having coffee with Jesus.
If you are looking for answers in life, maybe you are frustrated, have questions about your purpose or need direction; turn to Jesus.
Here are 5 ways to start your day with Jesus:
- But first coffee! 1 Corinthians 10:31 (AMP) – So then, whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do all to the glory of [our great] God. So, have your coffee all to God’s glory!
- Go to your quiet place, secret place, prayer closet, bathroom, wherever you can be alone. Luke 5:16 (GW) – But he would go away to places where he could be alone for prayer.
- Prayer! Psalms 5:3 (NLT) – Listen to my voice in the morning, Lord. Each morning I bring my requests to you and wait expectantly.
- Read the bible! Joshua 1:8 (NLT) – Study this Book of Instruction continually. Meditate on it day and night so you will be sure to obey everything written in it. Only then will you prosper and succeed in all you do. 2 Timothy 3:16 (NLT) – All scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right.
- Praise and worship! Psalm 90:14 (GW) – Satisfy us every morning with your mercy so that we may sing joyfully and rejoice all our days.
Father, we give thanks for your mercies that are new each morning! Help us to not be distracted by life but seek you with our best and first fruits of each day. Take us to our secret place to pray, read and to worship you. Remind us to give glory in all that we do, even drinking coffee.