Are you worn down and burnt out? Are you physically drained and mentally exhausted? David wrote in Psalms 55:2 (GNT) “Listen to me and answer me; I am worn out by my worries.” Back then people got worn out too! Worries and stress can cause you to burn out. What do you do in these times? Here are three questions you can ask yourself:
- Am I doing too much?
- What can I do to lessen my load or who can help me?
- Can I say no?
When we are doing too much or trying to do everything by ourselves, it can distract us from Jesus. Our hearts can be in the right place but can we say no? Sometimes we are just overcommitting ourselves. Jesus said in Matthew 11:28 (GNB) – Come to me, all of you who are tired from carrying heavy loads and I will give you rest. There are times we need to stop, give it to him and rest. My favorite is rest! The Lord has been telling me to do this lately and to be honest I haven’t. I told myself I will rest later. Then this past week after work one day, I was getting ready to make dinner and my husband told me I needed to rest! (I just love him). He was right, he confirmed God word and let’s just say I didn’t make dinner that night. Here is a scripture that the Lord gave me about this situation. Romans 12:11-12 (MSG) – Don’t burn out; keep yourselves fueled and aflame. Be alert servants of the master, cheerfully expectant. Don’t quit in hard times pray all the harder. Here are 5 tips from this scripture that can help you make a coming back from being worn down and burnt out:
- Keep yourself fuel and aflame! Don’t let your flame burn out! How do we do that? By spending time with Jesus. We need to give Jesus our heavy loads, so we can rest.
- Be alert! We need to be on our toes. The devil tries to steal, kill and destroy. If we are not alert we open that door for him to come in.
- Cheerfully expect! I love that, we need to have an attitude of faith and expectancy, knowing He is ready to do great thing in your life.
- Don’t quit! TD Jakes said “You face your greatest opposition when you’re closest to your biggest miracle”.
- Pray all the harder! When we are worn down and burnt out we need to pray. Ask God why we feel is way and for Him to reveal to us what we can do about it.
Father, help us during these hard times! Remind us to stop, give it to you and rest. Help keep us fueled and aflamed. Let us be alert and cheerfully expecting your word to be fulfilled. Give us a never quitting attitude; always praying hard so we are not worn down and burnt out.